A hard inquiry may impact your credit scores and stay on your credit reports for about two years. By contrast, soft credit inquiries won’t affect your scores.
Common hard inquiries:
● Mortgage applications
● Auto loan applications
● Credit card applications
● Student loan applications
● Personal loan applications
● Apartment rental applications
Common soft inquiries:
● Checking your credit scores
● “Pre-qualified” credit card offers
● “Pre-qualified” insurance quotes
● Employment verification (i.e. background check)
Keep in mind, there are other types of credit checks that could show up as either a hard or soft inquiry. For example, utility, cable, internet and cell phone providers will often check your credit.
If you would like to work through your credit report with me, and put together a plan so you can qualify for a mortgage, please don't hesitate to contact me anytime!